There is something about Italy and Italian food that rings romance. How to Cook up a Romantic Italian Spread -Birthplace of Saint Valentine, a well-known third century Saint popularly associated with Valentine’s day and home to the famous gondola rides, Italy is a mecca for lovers. Millions of tourists visit Italy every year to enjoy the gondola ride in Venice and have a romantic dinner at a restaurant near St. Mark’s square. The beautiful skyline of Venice, wine and amazing food all in the company of your better half is nothing short of a dream. While a visit to the most romantic city on earth is still on your wish list, in the meanwhile how about creating the magic of a romantic Italian dinner?
We know that Valentine’s Day is nowhere near, but surprising your partners or spouses with an Italian feast at home is a real treat. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to go about it.
Step 1 – Plan a Menu
If you are an ambitious cook, we suggest that you go all the way. Plan a three-course meal starting with appetizers, main course dish and dessert. Here’s are some recommendation for your meal plan that is easy to prepare as well as superior in taste-
- Appetizer – Tomato Bruschetta served with chilled Rose wine
- Main Course – Spaghetti in White Sauce
- Dessert – Sicilian Ricotta Cheesecake
Step 2- Prepare the Cheesecake in Advance
A cheesecake always tastes better when you consume it a day later. Therefore, prepare this sweet dessert a day in advance so that is sets well. Sicilian Ricotta Cheesecake is a classic Italian dessert that is known for its smooth texture and mild sweetness. Serve this amazing dessert to end the evening on a sweet note. You may refer to other recipes on the web, but here is a quick way to prepare it –
- 500 gm of ricotta cheese or cream cheese (Don’t Sweat! There is always room for improvisation if you don’t get the exact ingredient)
- ½ cup of refined sugar
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- Zest of one orange
- 2 teaspoon of vanilla essence
- Pinch of salt
For the crust: Crumbs of 18 to 20 graham crackers. If you cannot find graham crackers, you can always replace them with regular chocolate cookies or wafers.
- In a food processor, add the graham crackers or cookies and blend till you get a coarse powder or crumb and bake it for 10 minutes at a temperature set at 150 degree Celsius
- Now, line a baking tray with the cracker/cookie crumbs
- Break the 4 eggs add the sugar and mix well. Now add all-purpose flour to the mixture and combine well
- In the next step add vanilla essence, salt, cinnamon powder, orange zest
- Transfer this mixture to the baking tray which is lined with crumbs and bake it in the oven till the crust is beautifully golden brown.
- After the cheesecake in done baking, wait for 10 minutes before you remove it from the cake tin. Once the cheesecake has cooled down place it on a serving dish, cover it and refregerate.
Step 3 – Make Tomato Bruschetta and Spaghetti in White Sauce on the day you have planned the dinner
Tomato Bruschetta is the perfect appetizer. Fine, crispy toasts topped with fresh, plum tomatoes, herbs, basil and mozzarella cheese is a symphony of flavours. For this recipe, you can purchase a freshly baked garlic bread from your local bakery, or make a loaf of bread at home with the help of an automated atta and bread maker from brands like Kent.
Yum Tomato Bruschetta
Just slice the bread into mid-sized pieces and top it with cubed tomatoes, basil, Italian herbs, a drizzle of olive oil and grated mozzarella cheese. Bake these bite-sized savoury treats in the oven for 5 minutes. Serve this appetizer with a glass of chilled and sparkling rose wine.
Easy-peasy Spaghetti in White Sauce
Moving to the main course, Spaghetti in white sauce is yet another savoury dish that is full of taste and texture. Dry spaghetti is easily available in any of the supermarkets close to your home. However, the taste of a freshly prepared spaghetti is delicious. Making fresh spaghetti may seem like a quite a task. But with the help of a pasta machine, you can prepare spaghetti at home from scratch.
Recipe for Fresh Spaghetti
- 2 and ½ cup of all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- ½ up of olive oil
Add all the above-mentioned ingredients into the pasta machine to make a regular pasta dough. Once the dough is done, use the noodle shaping die to get smooth spaghetti. If your better half is health conscious, you can also customize the dough for the pasta by using whole wheat flour, oats etc.
Now, boil the raw spaghetti in a pan of water for 3-4 minutes, before tossing it with White sauce, mushrooms, basil, cheese to prepare a creamy and tasty bowl of spaghetti.
Step 4 – Make sure that the setting is right
This is the last step for organizing a romantic Italian dinner with the love of your life. Play smooth piano symphony in the background, make sure that the lights are dim and the table is set for two in the quaint and beautiful corner of the living room. Enjoy lip smacking food and engage in beautiful conversation to begin a rather magical evening.
AngelMstyle:- Submit Lifestyle Guest Post